An introduction

Welcome

This blog is a recap about my personal experience as a man in his early 50s getting into better shape.  It may or may not work for you but give it at least a try.

A recap from my "About" page

I first thought about writing this blog from reading a some weight loss topic on a travel forum.  I've been quite successful in losing weight and toning, the former unintentionally so.   Writing about my travails and routine may be helpful to you.

About me:  I am a 55 year old man of east Asian ethnicity. More specifically Chinese with ancestors from the southeast and eastern coastal areas of China.  I am finer boned so I do not have much bulk, or as it stands these days, much muscle.  I stand just a shade under 5'10" (177 cm) and have weighed 170-180 lbs (77-82 Kg) for most of my life though I did peak at around 182 lbs / 83 kg in my late 20s.  I was never a skinny child but never too fat, though I carried a small paunch on my belly until recently.  My parents bought me husky jeans when I was a pre teen.

My body shape is lightly-built upper body with more muscular legs.  I don't have great upper body strength so benchpressing anywhere near my weight will never happen - even if I trained as a younger man.

Looking at body types, I would lean towards being a "small" endomorph if I were to be a couch potato.  I have turned more, but not totally, into an ectomorph with my regime.  A pure mesomorph is what I am not.

I have never smoked (other than "second hand" - mercifully rare for the past 2-3 decades), done drugs or gotten into over consumption of alcohol  - perhaps I am blessed in that my body doesn't digest alcohol well hence I don't appear to have a predisposition to addiction.  I do have "flat" feet which makes running difficult for me, and painful if prolonged.  One consequence appears to be well-developed calf muscles which may not be bad for a man.

I've always wanted to keep in shape and did whenever exercise equipment was available.  I did free weights in my 20s and 30s and bicycled and Stairmastered.  A mountain bike crash did set me back for a few years and it took me time to get back into shape.  At times, I also became sedentary into my 40s and then 50s, with very infrequent exercise, and that usually came when there was equipment readily available.

What changed was that my wife and I sold our house 4 years ago and have been transient since the, travelling and house sitting.  We don't have a chance to settle into a routine so as a result, we get out more.  The house sitting more often than not includes pets, and if the pet is  dog, walks.  Whenever there s a dog, I'm out for walks a least daily if not more frequently.

I've also learned that I can do exercises and weight training without fancy equipment, or much at all.   I was at a beach in Malta a couple of years ago when I saw a man using straps to do back and chest exercises using straps. I thought it was pretty cool.  Continuing on my way around the world, I found such a system on sale at the outlet of a French fitness and sports chain in GuiLin, China.  A bargain at $20 when compared to the branded version and one that can be used anywhere.

That along with an exercise mat and a couple of free weights (2 lb dumbbells from a thrift shop) are all I have.  I'd get heavier dumbbells but this doesn't help fuel economy when moving around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Pants - An Everyday Weight Control Tool

Artificial Sweeteners